Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Wife Being The Bread Winner

Sam asked me this question last night and I found it so difficult to answer:

If you're a married woman, would you be okay with it if your husband earns less than you? I.e. You're the bread winner of the family.

Be honest now!

I really couldnt answer. I mean objectively speaking, it shouldn't matter. But I know myself. Even on the dating scene, I would expect the boy to pay for me SOMEtimes. I just like to be taken care of. That said... I KNOW, when I have money, I don't care. Let me explain.

Being in Australia, I consider myself to be very poor. And always broke. Hence, dating a guy, I would like to be taken care of (sometimes). However, being in Malaysia, the level of "socioeconomic status" at which I live in is a bit higher than where I am at as student in Australia therefore I have, and can spend a LOT more money (parents' of course). I know for a fact when I have money I am generous. Guy, girl, friend, new friend, I am willing to pay for things if I feel like it.

Now tying back to marriage. If I end up being a loaded mother fucker... I don't think I'd care if my husband is the lower income earner OR even a househusband. I would care if he's not doing anything and bumming around. Given that he doesn't bum but works very hard whatever hes doing (be it stay-home-dad or plumming), I can safely say I would not care.

But if both of us are struggling just to be comfortable, and cannot afford to go out at restaurants for dinner twice a month or something, then I would have a problem if my husband earns less than me. It's weird right? I mean.. I don't like "struggling", and for my husband to not step up and relief some of the pressure, I'd be very very disturbed.

This just brought me to another point. IF say we're not struggling but not loaded either, i.e. happily middle class, HAPPILY, and both my husband and I are happy with our careers even though he's the lower income earner, I think I would be okay with it too. I guess it all comes down to how at peace I am with the situation. Any kind of added stress would increase the tension and affect how I deal with being the bread winner.

With unlimited wealth, that's no/less stress (hypothetically speaking compared to the others).
Husband being the lower income earner? No problem.

Struggling financially, higher stress.
Husband being hte lower income earner? PROBLEM.

Happy, happy whatever it is, less/no stress.
Husband being the lower in come earner? No problem.

I also thought about how my parents would think, and definitely, regardless of the situation... they will NOT be happy that my husband is not the bread winner. Typical Chinese :)

Anyway.

I wonder what guys think of this? Men, if your wife earns more money than you would it bother you?

Here's a scenario Sam gave me for guys to think about:
If you're out with your mates and everyone's paying for their meal. Are you okay that everyone knows the money you're taking out from your wallet, is actually your wife's money?

No comments:

Post a Comment